Optimized Matrix multiplication from Microsoft talk

Hello all,

I am trying to implement matrix - vector multiplication in CKKS with minimal rotations. In a Microsoft talk there is an optimized version, which can be found at this Techniques in PPML - YouTube timestamp.
I do not understand what is meant by diag(…)', and I did not really find an explanation in the video. Does somebody have the answer? Because it does not work just using the “regular” diagonal explained in the video.

Thanks in advance and cheers!

diag(M, i) refers to the i^{th} diagonal of a matrix M. For example, if we have the matrix

M = \begin{bmatrix} a & b & c \\ d & e & f\\ g & h & i \\ \end{bmatrix} \quad

then:

• diag(M, 0) = [a, e, i]
  • diag(M, 1) = [b, f, g]
  • diag(M, 2) = [c, d, h].

Thanks for your response. But what I meant was that in the optimized case, where the rotations are pulled out of the sums

\sum_{k=0}^{n_2-1} \mathrm{Rot} ( \sum_{j=0}^{n_1-1} diag(M,kn_1 + j)'\cdot \mathrm{Rot}(v,j),kn_1 )

the diag functions appears with a with an apostrophe. This indeed needs to be another map than the original non primed diagonal function since if you check it for n=4 ( with n_1 = n_2 = 2) you get

diag(M,0) = [a,f,k,p]
diag(M,1) = [b,g,l,m]
diag(M,2) = [c,h,i,n]
diag(M,3) = [d,e,j,o]

trying to multiply that matrix with a vector v=[v_0,v_1,v_2,v_3] you get wrong terms in the sum where k=1 using the naive diag map:

\sum_{j=0}^{n_1-1} diag(M,kn_1 + j)\cdot \mathrm{Rot}(v,j) \overset{k=1}{=} diag(M,2) \cdot \mathrm{Rot}(v,0) + diag(M,3) \cdot \mathrm{Rot}(v,1)
= [c,h,i,n] \cdot [v_0,v_1,v_2,v_3] + [d,e,j,o] \cdot [v_1,v_2,v_3,v_0] = [cv_0 + dv_1, \dots]

where we can directly see that v_0 should never appear in a term together with c if we want to recover matrix multiplication. So my question is, what is the correct diag(\dots)' map?

Greetings, and thanks in advance!

Got it, I did not notice the apostrophe earlier in your question.

This should be:

diag(M, kn_1 + j)' = Rot(diag(M, kn_1 + j), -kn_1)

Thanks a lot, it is working now :slight_smile:

1 Like